Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Praying Angel Cross Icon - My Painting For Today

I've been working on a series of large angel and Madonna icons for the Buyers Market of American Craft show next week.

This is a contemplative angel, rather peaceful, her hands raised in prayer. My hubby cuts the crosses in 3/4 inch plywood. I gesso them and apply the Celtic braid in texture medium; sort of like decorating a cake. I let it dry over night then carry on with the painting. Once I'm satisfied I seal it then add the sparkling little crystals.




“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.”

~ St. Thomas Aquinas

Title: Enduring Faith
Size: 14 x 24 in
60 x 36 cm


*All Image Rights Reserved © Wendy Ryan *

1 comment:

Kris Prask said...

Wendy, I love your work and was so happy to find your site. I am a graphic designer, I work full time and have three kids. I've taken Iconography classes and retreats in the past and have dreamed of having time to paint them someday. How long have you been painting? How long did it take before you went full time with your painting? Do you feel you make enough or is it the satisfaction of just working on your paintings? I'm just curious how you took the leap into the fine arts? Do you have any words of wisdom good or bad that could possibly help?
Thanks
Kris

Abstract Art and Modern Art news
Cabin Fever In Alaska